Artifical Disc Replacement
Austin Neurosurgeon, Neurological Spine Surgeon
Cervical Artificial Disc Surgery
Cervical artificial disc replacement surgery is a joint replacement procedure that involves inserting an artificial disc, such as the PRESTIGE® Cervical Disc, between the vertebrae to replace a natural spinal disc after it has been removed. This prosthetic device is designed to maintain motion in the treated vertebral segment.
What Is Cervical Artificial Disc Surgery?
Cervical artificial disc surgery is a type of joint replacement procedure, or arthroplasty, which involves inserting a cervical artificial disc into the intervertebral space after a natural cervical disc has been removed.
A cervical artificial disc is a prosthetic device designed to maintain motion in the treated vertebral segment. A cervical artificial disc essentially functions like a joint, allowing for flexion, extension, side bending and rotation. The PRESTIGE® Cervical Disc is the first artificial disc to be approved by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration for use in the cervical spine.
Mobi - C Cervical Disc
- Allergic reaction to the implant material
- Implants bending, breaking, loosening, or moving
- Instruments bending or breaking
- Wound, local, and/or bodily (systemic) infections
- Neck and/or arm pain
- Difficulty swallowing
- Impairment of or change in speech
- Nerve or spinal cord injury, possibly causing impairment or paralysis
- Numbness or tingling in extremities
- Tear in the protective membrane (dura) covering the spinal cord
- Loss of motion or fusion at the treated cervical level
- Development or progression of disease at other cervical levels
- Bleeding or collection of clotted blood (hematoma)
- Blood clots and blood flow restrictions, possibly resulting in stroke
- Tissue swelling
- Reactions to anesthesia
- Changes in mental status
- Complications of pregnancy, including miscarriage and fetal birth defects
- Inability to resume activities of normal daily living, including sexual activity
Austin NeuroSpine offers conservative to minimally invasive spine procedures for spine disorders such as Artificial Disc Replacement in Austin, Round Rock and Dripping Springs, Texas. For more information, call us today at 512-640-0010
Or visit our Location page to find our clinic nearest you!